VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Health Care System
Chaplain Service provides a variety of services to Veterans, visiting family members and staff:
- Ministry of presence
- Worship services
- Connections to variety of community of faiths
- Facilitate religious needs – Provide prayer, sacred literature, inspirational literature, devotional material, religious rites (i.e., wedding and funerals), and religious counsel
- Crisis intervention
- Bereavement care
- Spiritual care – (i.e., education, pastoral care, advocacy, decision making support, etc.)
- Contribute to Interdisciplinary Care Plans – (Ethics Consultation, Palliative Care, Substance Abuse Treatment and are available to provide consultative support throughout the hospital).
- Ceremonial Functions – Memorial Services, Blessing of the Hands and provide invocations/benedictions for a variety of community and hospital functions
Services Available to Outpatients
Chaplains are available by appointment and may be arranged by:
- Patient request
- Consults from staff
Worship Services - Grand Island
Saturdays at 11 a.m.
Sundays at 9 a.m.
Grand Island Chaplains:
Worship Services - Omaha
The Chapel is located in the northeast corner of Main Building on the First floor in Omaha. Chaplain offices are located inside the Chapel.
Every day at 6:55 a.m.
Sundays at 9 a.m.
Available 7 days a week–24 hours a day
Lead/Protestant Chaplain, Shane Van Dorin, ext. 5779
Protestant Chaplain, Cliff Short, ext. 3128
Catholic Chaplain, Fr. Anthony Ike, ext. 3127
-or- call an operator and ask for the chaplain
Chaplain Service is available on an as-needed basis in Lincoln.
To request service in Lincoln, contact Lead/Protestant Chaplain, Shane Van Dorin, ext. 5779 in Omaha.
Grand Island CBOC and CLC
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
Or as requested