Compensated Work Therapy and Transitional Residence - VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Health Care System
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Health Care System

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My HealtheVet badge
EBenefits Badge

Compensated Work Therapy and Transitional Residence

The Compensated Work Therapy and Transitional Residence (CWT/TR) Program is a transitional residence program for Veterans who want to return to the community workforce, but need and want a structured living environment to learn how to make constructive decisions instead of destructive decisions. Veterans can stay in the CWT/TR Program anywhere from six months, to a year. Prior to successful discharge, each Veteran will be set up with community resources to help transition successfully into the community.

A home to Veterans

The CWT/TR Program is home to Veterans of all different backgrounds, who have had a hard time maintaining a job due to a variety of reasons. By participating in the CWT/TR Programs, Veterans will have structure and support to maintain sobriety or manage mental health issues while seeking employment. Veterans will participate in the Compensated Work Therapy Program and usually work 40 hours a week.

What are the eligibility requirements?

Any Veteran who is homeless and wanting to work needs to have a HOMES assessment done to be referred to the CWT/TR Programs. Eligible Veterans must be medication independent, be willing to follow all the CWT/TR Program rules and guidelines, be willing to work a strong recovery program, be able to take care of themselves including cooking and opening a savings or checking account. They program must be able to meet all of the physical and psychological needs of the Veteran. Other than medical appointments, the CWT assignment will take priority while in the program.

What are the obligations for staying in the house?

Each Veterans must:

  • Attend three recovery meetings a week (i.e. AA, NA, NAMI, WRAP)
  • Obtain a sponsor
  • Open a bank account
  • Participate in the CWT program with the goal of obtaining competitive employment in the community

What does it cost?

Each Veteran will pay a fee to live at the TR House. The fee will either be paid by the Veteran or taken out of his or her CWT pay. This money is used to purchase cleaning supplies for the houses, laundry detergent and household necessities.

For more information:
CWT/TR Residence Program
Kelly Arends: 308-395-3261
Dean Warnke: 308-382-3660, ext. 92296
Grand Island Patient Advocate
Kent Englehardt: 308-382-3660, ext. 92132

Contact Info


  • Grand Island CBOC
    TR House, Building 5

Contact Number(s)

  • 308-382-3660 Ext. 2132

Hours of Operation

  • 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Monday through Friday