VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Health Care System
Medical Student and Associated Health Trainee Information
Welcome to the VA NWIHCS Student Onboarding Site!
To work at the VA you will be required to complete Part 1 of the onboarding process no longer than 21 days prior to your start date. Your timely completion of these requirements is key to moving forward quickly and efficiently. If not completed this may delay or remove entry into your rotation. Please work closely with your VA Program Coordinator / VA Point of Contact to avoid any unnecessary delays; these department liaisons are available to help and answer your questions. A step-by-step Student Onboarding Checklist will guide you through the process.
Part 1 – Start 30-45 days prior to rotation
- Fingerprinting – See Onboarding Checklist Information
- VA’s TMS required course “Training for Trainees” – TMS information handout
- Your VA Point of Contact should have provided you with the following information:
- The VA Location being supported.
- Your Trainee Type and Specialty/Discipline.
- The VA Point of Contact’s First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Telephone Number.
- VA Forms
Part 2 – VA Internal Processing
Part 3 – PIV Sponsoring and Acquisition of PIV card (required for VA rotation)
Part 4 – CPRS (computerized record) training
If you have any general questions, please contact the Education Office contacts listed on this page.
Again, welcome to the VA. We look forward to working with you!
Administrative Officer for ACOS-Education